An air travel card is a type of payment card or travel credit card designed for and aimed at frequent air travelers. Some key points about air travel cards:
They allow cardholders to accumulate points, miles, or other rewards based on the amounts they spend using the card, with the primary reward being free or discounted air travel. Most cards award 1 point or frequent flyer mile per $1 spent.
Points or miles can be redeemed for free flights, flight upgrades, or access to airport lounges. Some brands also allow redeeming rewards for hotels, rental cars, cruises and more.
Air travel cards tend to come with travel benefits and perks beyond rewards earnings, such as free checked bags, priority boarding, discounts on in-flight purchases, travel insurance protection, and lost luggage reimbursement.
Popular issuers of travel rewards credit cards include airline co-branded cards like Delta SkyMiles and United MileagePlus, as well as general travel cards like Chase Sapphire or American Express Membership Rewards cards.
An annual fee ranging from $95 to $550+ is common for these cards given the rich rewards and benefits, which can be well worth it for frequent travelers.
So in summary, air travel cards allow dedicated travelers to earn free flights and other travel benefits as they spend on everyday purchases. The points and perks make these very popular and valuable for jetsetters.
What Are the Primary Benefits of This Air Travel Card?
The primary benefits of an air travel card typically include:
- Earning frequent flyer miles or points – This is usually the main reward, allowing you to accumulate points/miles on your spending to redeem for free flights and flight upgrades. Most cards offer 1-2 miles/points per dollar spent.
- Free checked bags – Many air travel cards provide a free 1st and/or 2nd checked bag on domestic flights for the cardholder and sometimes companions. This can lead to major baggage fee savings.
- Priority boarding – Some cards offer earlier boarding group access, allowing you to settle in sooner and find coveted overhead bin space.
- Inflight discounts – Common cardholder discounts include 20-50% off in-flight food, beverage, WiFi and entertainment purchases. A few may offer one companion discount as well.
- Airport lounge access – Valued lounge access is provided by some cards when you show your card. This grants access to lounges with free food, drinks, newspapers, showers and more.
- No foreign transaction fees – These cards do not charge extra fees on international purchases, saving 3% on common credit card foreign transaction fees.
As you can see, premium travel perks that enhance the flying experience, save money, and provide conveniences are the major value propositions of air travel cards.